This last year has been a bit tough in the money department for most of us. Many have made new years resolutions to start saving money and get our bills paid off but how to put that in effect is a bit more difficult. I have put together some simple money saving tips that you can start implementing today and the savings will be noticeable right away.
1. If you have internet, phone and cable with separate companies, try combining them to one company. Usually you will save an average of $25 a month. Making that a savings of $300 over the course of the year. Wave Broadband and Comcast both offer bundle packages.
2. If you have a cell phone and you don’t need a home phone, disconnect your home phone. Average savings about $15.00. Making that a savings of $180 for the year.
3. Turn down the thermostat. Turning down your thermostat at night at least 3 degrees will save you approximately 5-10% on your heating bill.
4. Combine trips, walk, bike or ride the bus. If you can cut your vehicle miles traveled by just 5% through combining trips, walking, biking, or taking public transportation, you can save up to $100 per year on gasoline costs. Walking and biking are good for your health too!
5. Cut back on eating out. Eating out for a family of 4 can put you back about $50 on average. Try to cut back to twice a month.
6. Request a reduction on your interest rate on your credit cards. Credit card companies sometimes are willing to reduce the interest rate. It can’t hurt to ask.
7. Get a library card. Its free! Start picking up books from the library, saving you an average of $8 a book.
8. Take your Lunch to work. Average savings of $6 per day, which can save you about $120 every month.
9. Bring coffee from home. Along with the #8, bringing coffee can save you daily. Try bringing coffee at least 3 days a week to save an average of $9 every week.
10. Buy online when it saves you money. Amazon is a great place to save money on everyday things.