Recently as I have had to deal with the passing of my father, I have taken notice of life and how people interact with each other, and I had never really having taken notice before. My continuous thoughts were that I wasn’t taking advantage of all that life has to offer and how serious some people seem to take life. I want to be happier and more carefree. Its not too late, here are 10 ways to be happier.
1. Get plenty of sleep. As you know sleep is essential to your health, depending on the person, you need between 6-9 hours of sleep per night.
2. Exercise. You have heard it before, exercise is one of the most dependable mood lifters around.
3. Stop the nagging. This is a tough one, at least for me, but the biggest happiness boost is from relinquishing the need to have everything done on my schedule. You may not think so but trying to get people to do things on your schedule is very tiring and frankly a lot of work.
4. Do not express every angry thought you have. Before I was married I was always told not to let the sun go down on your anger, but not expressing anger often allows the feelings to dissipate.
5. Laugh out loud. They say that frowning can cause frown lines but they say smiling keeps them away, so how much more do you think laughing can do? Laughter dissolves tension, stress, anxiety and boosts the immune system.
6. Volunteer. Helping others really does make you feel better, enabling you to put your own problems aside and focusing on the needs of others.
7. Fake it until you feel it. If your feeling blue, try acting like you are happy and your actions will eventually make you feel happier.
8. Count your blessings. Pause every day to reflect on some positive aspect of your life, you will experience a heightened sense of well-being.
9. Smell the air. The benefits of aromatherapy in relieving stress are real. Try smelling some rosemary to lower your anxiety levels.
10. Take action. About 40% of your happiness level is within your control, take time to reflect and take conscious steps to make your life happier.