Most people have air conditioning these days. But unfortunately there are still some of us that don’t. As the summer heat beats down on us less fortunate souls without AC, we look for ways to keep cool. Not always is this easy.
Here is a list of things you can do when facing the melt down of the summer heat.
1. In the morning open up all the doors and windows and let the cool from the night cool down the house. Then close them before going to work and keep the blinds closed. This has seemed to keep the house about 5 degrees cooler then when this isn’t done.
2. After the sun goes down, which can be pretty late this time of year, open up the windows and doors and put a fan in front of either the door or window and let it bring the cool air in. It cools down significantly in a very short time.
3. Install an attic fan, they can cool the house to outside temperatures in just a few minutes. This is a more energy efficient and cost efficient way to cool the home.
4. Buy a Swamp Cooler or Air Evaporator Cooler. There are plenty of options out there for under $100.
5. Put a block of ice in a container behind the fan to cool down the house. A wet wrung out towel hung behind the fan works wonders too. Make sure you have a dish under the towel to let it drip into. If you stick the fan in front of a door or window it makes it even cooler.
6. Try to make meals that don’t call for using the oven. The oven can heat up the kitchen and essentially the whole house by more then 10 degrees. Check out AllRecipes.com for some great summer recipes.
7. Use someone else’s AC. Take a seat at your local coffee house, most have free wi-fi, so you can do some work, check email, even watch an episode of your favorite TV show.
Other cooling ideas? Leave a comment.