May is national bike month but today is Bike-to-Work-Day. So in the spirit of trying to be healthier and be more eco-friendly I decided to bike to work today. If you are thinking of riding your bike to work there are some things you should know before you hop on your bike.
From the League of American Bicyclists, they have a list of Tips for Commuters, helping you with proper gear to bike parking and storage. Click here to view the commuter tips.
Make sure you know your hand signals:
Some simple tips to remember:
- Make sure and do a safety check each time you ride your bike. Click here for a six point bicycle safety check.
- Protect your head and wear a helmet. Always wear a helmet and make sure it fits properly. If you have questions click here.
- See and be seen. Make sure you are visible.
- Stay alert. Listen and look.
- Use your hand signals
- Don’t ride in traffic until you can safely negotiate it.
- Be predictable.
So before you start out on your journey down the streets of your town, do some research and be prepared for what may come your way. You wont regret it when you do. Enjoy!