Most people have air conditioning these days. But unfortunately there are still some of us that don’t. As the summer heat beats down on us less fortunate souls without AC, we look for ways to keep cool. Not always is this easy.
Here is a list of things you can do when facing the melt down of the summer heat.
1. In the morning open up all the doors and windows and let the cool from the night cool down the house. Then close them before going to work and keep the blinds closed. This has seemed to keep the house about 5 degrees cooler then when this isn’t done.
2. After the sun goes down, which can be pretty late this time of year, open up the windows and doors and put a fan in front of either the door or window and let it bring the cool air in. It cools down significantly in a very short time.
3. Install an attic fan, they can cool the house to outside temperatures in just a few minutes. This is a more energy efficient and cost efficient way to cool the home.
4. Buy a Swamp Cooler or Air Evaporator Cooler. There are plenty of options out there for under $100.
5. Put a block of ice in a container behind the fan to cool down the house. A wet wrung out towel hung behind the fan works wonders too. Make sure you have a dish under the towel to let it drip into. If you stick the fan in front of a door or window it makes it even cooler.
6. Try to make meals that don’t call for using the oven. The oven can heat up the kitchen and essentially the whole house by more then 10 degrees. Check out AllRecipes.com for some great summer recipes.
7. Use someone else’s AC. Take a seat at your local coffee house, most have free wi-fi, so you can do some work, check email, even watch an episode of your favorite TV show.
Other cooling ideas? Leave a comment.
Everyone is looking for ways to save money; I have listed 10 of the least painful ways to economize.
1. Pay with cash. Everyone knows it’s harder to see your cash disappear then using a credit card.
2. Brown-bag your lunch. Make it and take it, instead of eating out every day. Here is 25 Tips for Better Brown Bags.
3. Clip Coupons and use Store Reward Cards.
4. Have a garage sale or sell it on Ebay/Craigslist. Most of us have a lot of unused items lying around, why not make some money and clean out the house at the same time.
5. Visit the Library instead of your nearest book store.
6. Disconnect your home phone line, and use your cell phone.
7. Stop your daily trips to your favorite coffee house and make your coffee at home.
8. Quit smoking. Not only is it good for your health, it saves a lot of money. Need Help? Check out this article on How to Quit Smoking.
9. Ride a bike or take a walk. Not only does it save on gas, its also great exercise.
10. Cut your own hair or have someone in your family cut it for you. For helpful tips on how to save on haircuts check out sheknows.com.
Saving money is a way of life. You have to make changes and stick with them. Its OK to go out to eat every once in a while or stop by your favorite coffee shop for a scrumptious latte but its the daily routines we get stuck in that suck the most money out of us. The amount of money you will save by changing what you do daily will amaze you.
This is not a scam or a gimmick. There are companies out there that actually will supply you with a free car. The drawback is that there are advertisements all over the car. There are other companies out there that will pay you to have their advertisement put on your own car. Some people don’t mind this and if you are one of them, then this is a great way to make some money or drive a free car. Here is a list of a few companies that can help you get started.
1. Freecar.com has a list of companies that will sponsor your car for $500 a month(sometimes more) and pay for your car repairs.
2. Freecarmedia.com is another one who pays you to drive around with an advertisement on your car. Most of their programs last 3 months on average and you can get paid up to $900 a month.
3. Freecarindex.com Get paid up to $500 a month to drive your own car or drive one of their new cars for free. They also cover car repairs and service.
4. Myfreecar.com just recently merged with trashtalkFCM and they offer free cars and they will pay you to put an advertisement on your own car. As for the details, you will have to contact them because the site doens’t give any details as to the amount they pay.
In order to qualify for a “get paid to drive” program, you must be at least 18 yrs old, have a valid drivers license, have a clean car, and have an excellent driving record. You must sign an agreement that specifies how and where you will drive, for how long, and under what conditions.
I just listed a few companies that I found, there are many more out there. Check them out and start driving for free.
With gas prices well over $4.00 everyone is looking for gas saving tips that really work. Edmunds.com website has a great article on what really saves gas. They have tested the tips and give you the Results, Cold Hard Facts, Recommendations and an explanation on how these tips were tested. They claim “If you listen to us, you can see hybrid-type savings without having to buy a new car”. Go try these tips for yourself and start saving money today. Do you have any gas saving tips? Please share them.