Its that time of the year again. Have you started your garden? I was looking at different sites to find out more about how to start a garden and found How to Start a Simple Garden – Even in an Apartment, from the simpledollar.com.
Growing your own food is a very rewardable way to save money and eat healthier. The Simple Dollar gives you 8 easy steps to help you achieve your goal of gardening. This is more for the beginner gardener than for the novice but good information none-the-less.
- Start small – very small. This is especially true if you live in an apartment and don’t have much space anyway.
- Focus on a very small number of different plants. What vegetable do you most enjoy?
- Choose a place with adequate sunlight – or get some natural light bulbs. If you have a window with room for potted plants nearby, this is the place to use.
- Research your plant and buy an appropriate pot. For example, I had one small cherry tomato plant in a single flower pot, and then a flat bottomed, larger pot full of cilantro.
- Use good soil. I reuse it for years, but the first batch you should get should be good stuff.
- Get a handful of worms. These can usually be had at a bait and tackle shop.
- Set a clear watering schedule. Find out how much water the plants need and plan a clear watering schedule.
- Weeding. Surprisingly, weeding is almost nonexistent with such a situation, especially for the first year.
For the rest of the artice click here.