Some days its nice to just get out with friends and enjoy conversation over a few drinks. And there is nothing wrong with going out to your local bar for a drink or two with your buddies, but if your not careful you can find yourself blowing your whole budget on one single night on the town. We all could use some help on saving money at the bar.
Here’s some helpful tips on how to drink like a king on a pauper’s budget:
- Ask the Price – Bars do not show prices because they know if you realize how much you’re paying, you are much more likely to order less expensive drinks and order fewer drinks. Before ordering a drink, ask how much it’s going to be, and see if they have a price list available so you can get something that you can afford.
- Don’t Buy a Round – In some social circles, it’s a custom for everyone to buy one round for the group. Just keep silent and don’t offer to buy a round.
- Know Your Drinks – Get the most bang for your buck by ordering the drinks with the most alcohol. Long Island Ice Teas are your best bet.
- Attend Happy Hour – Usually at happy hour you can get some beers and wines at cheaper prices than normal.
- Avoid Cover Charges – Make sure you hit bars that do not have a cover charge.
- Skip the Food – Unless they have a happy hour menu, otherwise the food at a bar is expensive for the small portions you get.